Ubuntu Laptop goes on Sale Today

Ubuntu Laptop Goes on Sale Today

It’s finally here, Ebuyer’s first Linux Laptop goes on sale today! The HP 255 G1 is available from today on the Ebuyer website for £219.99 and will be available with the Ubuntu Operating System.hp laptop ubuntu

The 15.6 inch laptop is powered by an AMD Dual Core E1 processor, has 4GB of RAM and a 750GB Hard Drive. It also has the usual array of USB ports, a HDMI connector, webcam and Bluetooth.

The machine is ideal for Linux fans, those looking for a “no-OS” system or those moving away from a Windows/Mac dominated computing

ubunto logo

The laptop is the first of its kind in the UK and expected to be popular with PC enthusiasts.

Ubuntu is currently difficult to acquire pre-installed on a computer in Europe, with the existing market focus around South America and China. A popular launch here would hopefully spur manufacturers of on to equip more laptops with the open OS.

Danny Young

Features Editor

12 comments

Add yours
  1. Kevin Buck 28 April, 2014 at 14:59

I’ve been using Linux solely for a few years now. I tried it firstly dual booting with Linux Mint and Win 7 after buying a new Lenovo thinkpad which ran very slowly with what was then Microsofts latest offering,

Sadly every time a major manufacturer offers a Linux Distrobution on a machine it’s on a very low specification. I can only presume that this is because they’ve given up trying to sell that model with a Microsoft OS, which would run very slow and are trying to ship the stock without upsetting their deal with Microsoft..

Please, Please, Please HP, Lenovo, Dell etc. sell us a decent spec laptop, built for everyday use, (anti glare screen, decent processor and built to last ) machine with say Ubuntu 14.04 LTS, a much improved long term support version of the Unity “Apple like” desktop. I’m sure they would fly out the door and give people a much better impression of what is the worlds best operating system AKA Linux, Unix, BSD, Apple OSX.

For the moment I’ll Dream On…………..!! – Meanwhile dowload it, write a DVD. Boot to the DVD on your current PC. Try it for FREE and give a Donation if you like it.

2. Antonio 1 May, 2014 at 09:51

i quite like it, never been a fan of lap tops and thought this would be a fantastic back up machine if my desktop went belly up.. But one question if anybody can help I see theirs an update to ubuntu v14? or something.. Can you just update the OS as via the updates
    within the lap top has no mention of the latest OS? Or is it a case you stick with the version installed?

3. Tim 1 May, 2014 at 11:30

Agreed totally with first post.

A quality Toshiba with Ubuntu 14.04 LTS (long term support) would result in a fast professional standard laptop, without all the drawbacks which come with Microsoftv OSs.

4. Bruce 1 May, 2014 at 11:40

Congrats to ebuyer for being brave enough to believe in offering choice. With luck, this will be the first of many laptops from ebuyer with Ubuntu pre-installed. Keep up the good work!

5. JJ 1 May, 2014 at 12:46

Offering no-os or Linux laptops is a must, I believe, and its a great choice by eBuyer and HP to offer them here. It reduces the price tag of the machine, and allows you to put on your OS of choice (be it another Linux distro, another version of Ubuntu, or even a student discount copy of Windows free of manufacturer bloatware to which is sometimes cheaper compared to buying it prebundled).

In recent years Linux (and especially Ubuntu) has become a very fleshed out OS that I infinitely prefer to Windows. Even gaming! With Steam’s support, Linux has received a trove of great indie games and some bigger titles. Very few of the triple A titles arrive to Linux, but gaming on Linux has allowed me to connect with the more unique indie games (some of which might even work on this machine, despite its low specs).

To anyone wondering if this can be upgraded to the Ubuntu 14.04 LTS, it definitely can. Just make the required changes via the software centre and you should be prompted to upgrade to 14.04.

6. Richard Mullens 3 May, 2014 at 15:49

Agree completely with the first post.

I run Linux on an Acer Aspire 1830T – which has an 11.6 inch screen and an Intel core i3 processor.  It has a resolution of 1366×768.

The first thing I did when I bought it was to take out the hard drive and replace it with another.  I have never used the original Windows system.

I’m now looking for a higher spec laptop – perhaps with a 13″ screen and with 1920×1080 or higher resolution.

Operating system and Hard Drive size (and whether SSD or other) is a personal choice.  I’d also prefer a Spanish keyboard, but that is another story.

7. Mark 6 May, 2014 at 10:55

Antonio, yes you can upgrade to 14.04. There is an option in the update manage to force the upgrade now, or in a couple of months time it will be offered automatically. I’ve been running Ubuntu since 6.06 and it gets better with each release (17?).
    14.04 is a great upgrade! High5 to Canonical and all the devs!

8. Vivo 14 May, 2014 at 12:11

A step in the right direction! I have been using Linux for the past 5 years, initially to test it out, and now as my main OS. While Ubuntu with its Unity interface is what made me switch to Kubuntu and then to Fedora KDE, offering laptops with no-OS or whatever Linux is a good move, as it reduces the price quite a bit, especially at the budget end, allowing for decent spec affordable laptops.
    This HP laptop is fine for basic usage, but I would like to see something more powerful, with an Intel i3/i5 processor, and an SSD or an easily accessible HDD bay.

9. Pete 14 May, 2014 at 14:28

Why is the hard disc only 5400rpm? I didn’t realise they still made these I thought they were all 7400rpm now.

10. dariusz 15 May, 2014 at 06:37

Wow, that is a great offer. Not only you get good value laptop, but you also don’t have to worry about AntiVirus software and all this trojans/malware crap.
    I have been running Ubuntu for over 10 years and NEVER NEVER EVER had any issue with my OS.
    I just laugh laud when I get email “don’t open emails with subject … as they contain virus” – doesn’t affect Linux users :)
    Also my whole family including 62 years old mum have been running Ubuntu for last 6 years, and they never had problem with it.
    Highly recommended

11. Vanessa 16 July, 2014 at 14:14

Nice work eBuyer! I long for the day that Linux laptops appear alongside mainstream Windows laptop – on comparable hardware. As comments above have mentioned, it’s such a pity that retailers relegate pre-loaded Linux laptops to low end hardware. No doubt, a lot of pressure is probably applied from Microsoft (threatening to revoke discounts on bulk Windows licenses).

I’ve been using Linux exlusively for a while now. I love it. No need to worry about catching a virus with every website you visit, or having to install and maintain resource hungry anti-Virus/anti-Malware software that thrashes your drive and slows everything down.

The fact that there are less desktop applications on Linux is becoming less of a problem now as everyone is moving to “The Cloud” (it’s pretty weird using Office 360 on a browser in Linux). Steam is also doing a great job providing gaming on the Linux platform.

As many have mentioned above, I too long for the day when Linux laptops are sold alongside the mainstream Windows pre-loaded offerings (and not just relegated to bargain basement low-end hardware). I’m not in the market for a new laptop at this very point in time, but in about 12 months I will be, and I bet by then the pre-loaded Ubuntu laptop offerings will be slim pickings.

It’s a pity System76 do not have a UK outlet. I know they will ship to the UK, which is great, but not all of their laptops come with a UK keyboard option. Perhaps eBuyer could form some kind of partnership with System76?

Here’s what I look for in a Ubuntu laptop:

1. At least a full HD screen.
    2. Powerful processing for Intel core-i5 (upwards) CPU (mainly because the Intel HD GPU drivers are opensource and included with Linux – no need to download a binary graphics driver from a third party).
    3. Fairly light and thin (ultrabooks are awesome).
    4. Mini-DisplayPort or Thunderbold (external monitors have moved beyond 1920×1080, and most HDMI ports, either on the laptop or on the monitor, do not support resolutions above 1920×1080).
    5. A good adjustable backlighting chiclet keyboard without a numeric pad (so it’s perfectly centred) for very fast typing (I manage about 120 words per minute).

That is all.