Today is the first day of a bright new future in marketing… it’s the start of the widely acclaimed CAKE FRIDAY.
This Friday’s offering is a home made chocolate cake, made at 8pm last night and iced at 6.30am this morning – now that’s fresh food.
I thought I would publish the recipe I used in case anyone wants to try this out themselves – it’s a pretty easy cake to get right. The cake is a combination of a couple of recipes and creates what I call “Death by Chocolate Cake” – I feel this is really the only way to die.
Death by Chocolate Cake Recipe:
275g plain flour
3 tbsp coca powder
1 ½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
1 ½ tsp baking powder
215g caster sugar
3 tbsp golden syrup
3 eggs, beaten
225ml sunflower oil
For the buttercream:
100g butter (softened)
175g icing sugar
¼ tsp vanilla essence
50g melted chocolate (cooled)
- Lightly grease 2 loose-bottomed 20cm sandwich tins (4cm deep) and line with non-stick baking parchment. Pre-heat oven to 160°C/325°F/Gas Mark 3.
- Sift the flour, coca powder, bicarbonate of soda and baking powder into a large bowl. Add the sugar and mix well.
- Make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients and add the golden syrup, eggs, oil and milk. Beat well, using a wooden spoon, until smooth and then pour half each into the 2 tins.
- Bake for about 35 minutes, until the cakes are well risen and spring back when pressed lightly with fingertips.
- Turn out onto a wire rack to cool, and remove the lining paper.
- For the buttercream, cream the butter until smooth. Add a little icing sugar at a time and beat until light. Add the essence and the melted chocolate and mix thoroughly.
- Place 2/3 of the buttercream in the middle of the cake, replace the top and ice the top with the rest of the buttercream
- Sprinkle with top with the chocolate strands
We will be posting pics throughout the day to illustrate the day in a life of a Cake Friday offering; these are the first 2 which show the grand unveiling (I’m also rather worried that I possess an Ebuyer coloured bowl, obviously the subliminal campaign we have launched is working well).