To kick off our first Cake and Cookie Friday of 2010, we asked our photographer Dan Howard to bake something of his choice.
hmmm…. these Orange and white choc chip cookies need something to pimp them up…..I know, stick a mars bar on it! – Dan
Take a look below to see what he did 🙂
Orange and White Chocolate Cookies with a Mars bar on top
- 100g/3½oz white chocolate chips and 1 Mars Duo
- 250g/4½oz unsalted butter
- 250g/3½oz granulated sugar
- 1 free-range egg
- 2 tsp orange flavouring
- 250g/5¼oz plain flour
- 1tsp baking powder
- Heat the oven to 190C/375F/Gas 5. Line two baking sheets with baking parchment.
- Heat the butter in a small saucepan very gently until it has just melted. Meanwhile, put the sugar into a mixing bowl. Pour the melted butter on top of the sugars and beat well with a wooden spoon.
- Add the egg and the orange and beat until well blended.
- Sift the flour and baking powder into the mixing bowl and stir them in, do this a little at a time, then add the white chocolate chips.
- The mixture should stiffen into a soft dough. Kneed this gently with clean hands then tear off chunks and place on the lined baking sheets, leaving plenty of space in between them as they tend to spread out while baking.
- Wearing oven gloves, put the baking sheets in the oven and bake for 4 minutes, then place slices of the mars bar on top of the cookies, pressing them in gently. Cook for a further 5-7 minutes until the cookies are just turning golden brown.
- Take them out and leave the cookies on the baking sheets to harden for a couple of minutes, then
- carefully lift up the baking parchment and transfer them to a wire cooling rack.
- Eat straight away or leave to cool and keep them in an airtight tin.