If you’re a gamer, movie lover or designer it’s likely you’ll be looking to upgrade your graphics card to get the best performance out of your PC, but what should you be looking for in a GPU?
Well, we’re going to give you an idea of what graphics card will best suit what you need all with help from our friends at AMD.
AMD’s new range of graphics cards are designed to cater for different working conditions and suit every type of budget.
The new AMD 300 GPU range is split into two categories the R7 and R9 range. R7 cards cover performance online gaming and eSports, and the R9 range is tailored for ultra-high performance 4K, Design and Virtual Reality.
R7 360– AMD’s R7 360 is the entry level model GPU. It’s tailor made for online gamers, with the power to drive the most popular games in the eSport universe. You’ll be able to battle online in 1080p HD with over 60fps supercharged performance at max settings.
- VSR (Virtual Super Resolution): Get quality that rivals 1440p, even on a 1080p display with AMD’s VSR.17
- 2GB GDDR5 MEMORY: Don’t worry about buffering and keep ahead of the constantly increasing memory requirements of games with 2GB GDDR5 on board memory
- AMD EYEFINITY TECHNOLOGY: Connect up to six displays simultaneously on a single GPU for quality panoramic gaming.
- FRTC (FRAME RATE TARGET CONTROL): Fine-tune your graphics and reduce GPU power consumption with real-time frame rate control by targeting a frame rate during gameplay
- POWER MANAGEMENT: Maximize GPU performance on demand with AMD PowerTune dynamic clock speed control. Conserve power when idle with AMD ZeroCore power management technology to cuts GPU power usage during long idle periods.
R7 370– For those wanting the next step up from the entry level 360 GPU, but still want to stick to a budget AMD offer the R 370. Again tailored for the world of eSports and online gaming the R7 370 gives a boost in GPU clock speed performance and 4GB GDDR5 memory
- All of the 360’s features plus:
- 256-BIT MEMORY BUS: High-bandwidth bus interface delivers the performance needed at higher resolutions.
- UP TO 4GB GDDR5 MEMORY
The second part of the 300 series GPU’s is the R9 Range. These cover the Ultra High performance graphic tasks like 1440p Gaming, Oversized Screens, 4K gaming and the new influx of Virtual reality. Oh yes that’s rights AMD are gearing up for VR. The R9 range is designed to at the cutting edge of graphics technology and is suited for those wanting top performance from their PC.
R9 380 – The AMD Radeon R9 380 was conceived to play the most demanding games at maximum detail, from 1080p, 1440p, all the way up to 4K Ultra High Definition resolution. The R9 380 is designed with smooth gameplay at high definition in mind. AMD FreeSync technology cuts out stuttering and lag and pumps up the flow for twitch free, ultra-responsive gaming at peak performance.
- VSR- Quality image processing from 1080p, 1140p right the way to 4K UHD
- 256-BIT MEMORY BUS: High-bandwidth bus interface delivers the performance needed at 4K;
- UP to 4GB GDDR5 Memory: Stay ahead of frame buffering demands and away from lag.
- 4K ACCELERATED ENCODE/DECODE: Delivering 4K video playback with hardware-accelerated H.264 encode/decode, enabling smooth live streaming of 4K
R9 390 – For those wanting to work and play at the cutting edge of graphics performance, the R9 390 gives you the tools. Whether its UHD 4K content or the virgin territories of VR the AMD 390 is the powerful GPU needed to stay ahead of the game.
AMD’s Liquid VR allows you to become part of the game, live the characters and alter the action directly. As VR tech begins to emerge, you can stay ahead of the head mounted VR market with a simple plug-and-play, easy use and stable platform from AMD.
With the power of the R9 390, 4K gaming is no longer a problem. 512-bit 8GB GDDR5 memory and the latest GCN architecture innovations support DirectX 12, OpenGL® 4.5 and Vulkan™ APIs.
- As the 380 model above with the addition of:
- 512-BIT MEMORY BUS
- 8GB GDDR5 MEMORY to accommodate for 4K and VR
- MULTI-VENDOR PLUG-N-PLAY; Accessorize and connect your VR world with a wide array of technologies and HMDs
- DIRECTX 12 & AMD LIQUIDVR TECHNOLOGY: Boost gaming performance, achieve low-latency response for immersive VR and dramatically improve GPU and CPU multiprocessing and multithreading performance
- AFFINITY MULTI-GPU: Accelerate gaming and VR performance with dual AMD Radeon R9 390 GPUs enabling scalable rendering for more realistic VR experiences.
R9 390X – Right at the top of the tree is the R9 390X. You’ll get all the cutting edge graphics performance that you find in the R9 390 but with an extra boost in power.
Again Ideal for UHD 4K content, gaming an VR, the R9 390X comes with higher Stream Processors, Texture Units, Boost Clock and Compute Performance.
- As the 390 with the addition of:
- Higher Stream Processors (2816 vs 2560)
- More texture units (176 vs 160)
- 50MHz higher Compute Performance (floating point)
How to Identify and Measure AMD GPU’s
Stats and Breakdown